23 Jun Embracing Diversity – Future Entrepreneurs
We all should know that diversity makes for a rich tapestry, and we must understand that all the threads of the tapestry are equal in value no matter what their color. ~ Maya Angelou
What does diversity look like? It generally refers to the variety of differences between people in an organization or culture.
That sounds simple, but diversity encompasses race, gender, ethnic group, age, personality, cognitive style, tenure, organizational function, education, background and more.
Diversity involves how people perceive themselves, and how they perceive others as well. Those perceptions affect the way they interact.
Diversity will increase significantly in the coming years.
Successful entrepreneurs and organizations recognize the need for action sooner rather than later and are ready and willing to spend resources on promoting and managing diversity in the workplace now.
All of this – and more – makes diversity something to celebrate more than once a year.
This wish celebrates:
• The chance to gain a new perspective on the lives of others around you as well as around the world.
• Our differences, as well as our common interests, helps unite and educate us.
• Knowledge: it is the key to acceptance.
• Understanding other’s perspectives, to broaden our own, and to fully experience and educate ourselves.
• Heritage and orientation.
• Understanding people and their backgrounds as a key to personal and community growth.
• The chance to help us all spend some time together–we can then understand and appreciate each other’s cultures so much more!
(Based on conversations on diversity with my friends of all colors and backgrounds: gay, straight, conservative and liberal.)
We embrace your diversity and support your journey to be true to who you are!
Akasha Garnier for The Wishwall